Checklist before you move
A change of residence overseas requires a series of events that you need to organize for a successful final task we understand that there is work, dedication, effort, sacrifice, there is a lot to be done and remembered when moving, however we will assist you for this purpose with our global alliance moving checklist. The checklist will take you through the entire moving process from start to end and all the stages in between.
Before your move
4 to 3 weeks
Check the validation of your passports and visas. Check whether any permits are required, e.g. for residency, work, vehicles, firearms, and pets (check for quarantine requirements). Collate all your personal documents, e.g. birth and marriage certificates and records. Confirmed the removal date with us Check your vaccination requirements, obtained medical certificates and records (Obtained vaccinations and medical certificates for travelling pets)
- Notified schools and obtained copies of children transcripts or reports.
- Check your travel documents and tickets.
- Disposed of any goods which you no longer need get rid of them.
- Organized pet transportation where appropriate.
- Discussed with your bank any need to transfer bank accounts and funds to your country of destination.
- Begun to reduce your frozen food stock, drinks.
- Cancel all rental agreements.
- Clear out loft, garage and shed.
- Obtain your international drivers license.
- Get the final bills for gas, water, electric power and cable services.
- Request your vehicle insurance records.
- Cancel all your personal recreation activities, gym, clubs subscriptions, magazines and newspapers.
- Fulfilled outstanding credit agreements.
- Arrange doctor’s appointments for the all family.
- Get the necessary certificate permits for shipping original fine art (at the Museum of Fine Arts).
- Check for voltage and frequency compatibility with the country of destination: washer machine, dryer, refrigerator,Stove, dishwasher, microwave, oven.
- Check and Supply your overseas contact address and telephone numbers before you leave the country.
- Inform about your new address: friends, post office, credit card companies, banks, creditors, debtors, stockbroker, attorney, and professional organizations, your nearest neighbor.
- Please advise Global Alliance international if you are shipping firearms or controlled goods to take precautions and Formalities.
- Check your car status and arrangements for sale or shipment, with customs regulations of destination country .
- Clean the entire item that staying blankets, coats, suits, woolen items etc.
- Drain fuel from motor mowers and all other motors that you will ship.
- Dispose of plants and perishable food.
- Arrange for main services to be disconnected: phone, electricity, gas, water, cable television, trash services.
- Empty lockers at school and work.
- Arrange care for children and pets on moving day.
- Return or retrieve any items on loan.
- Arrange for trash to be picked up after the packing is completed.
- Clean garden tools, bicycles, and all staff required etc.
- Informed your building manager/porter of your move date.
- Obtain the “Salvoconducto” “(important document for the moving day. You must request this document in notary.
- Check your transfer to airport
- Advised to your newspaper delivery agent of your move and requested a final bill.
- Ensured that all your deposits or credits have been returned to you.
- Defrost and clean refrigerator.
- Arrange for house cleaning after packing is complete.
- Close bank accounts or notify of direct or foreign deposits.
- Check if your bank can make wire transfer to your new bank.
- Supplied your new overseas address or temporary address if any, before your move overseas.
- Buy travelers checks.
- Pick up medications for travelers.
- Check and ensure that nothing remains at the drycleaners or repairers.
- Drained fuel from motor mowers.
- Put side hazardous materials like paint, spray cans, acid etc.
- Completed Global Alliance Insurance Form.
- Send back to us all the required documentation to be fill and signed
- Separated personal items which will travel with you, i.e. keys, documents, passports, tickets, medicine, vaccination certificates, currency, birth and marriage certificates, clothing, toiletries, books, games, maps.
- Confirm your flight reservations.
- Check all rooms, cupboards and walls to make sure nothing is left behind.
- De-frosted the fridge/freezer.
- Separated those items that are not going to be shipped.
- Arranged sufficient space for truck parking (if not pre-arranged by ourselves).
- Collected valuable items from safe deposit boxes? (Do not ship them, carry them with you).
- Given away perishable foodstuff or plants? (Note: we can usually move plants within Europe).
- Kept paper plates and cups and plastic utensils on hand?
- Completed all laundry? Ensure that washer and dryer are empty.
- Disconnected washing machine, dryer and dishwasher.
- Remember: Passports, tickets, money.
- Disposed of any alcohol that will not be shipped.
Wines and Spirits
The client should know that spirits and wines are subject to tax and increased risk of having a physical inspection on arrival, therefore delayed the shipment for retention of the container until customs determine customs taxes to pay for this item is not worth it. Drink them, make a party.
The D Day
Walk through your entire home with the crew leader in charge so you can give him an overview of what is to be done. Be sure that he is aware of any special needs or instructions. Remember to keep keys, passports, etc to one side.
Make sure the crew leader has everything and all the questions answered to you if not call your Relocation Adviser
Make sure that the crew leader knows what item or any special one is going to be required on destination from you so there for he will load at the end.
When packing finishes make a walk through your house with the packing leader to make sure nothing is left or have been missed. Keep you’re a copy of the packing list signed.
The following list is what you must keep in mind that you will need to notify before you move:
- House Insurance Company
- Car Insurance
- Life Insurance Company
- Health Insurance Plan Company
- Electricity Supplier
- Water Supplier
- Gas Supplier
- Telephone Company, Internet Provider
- Post Office
- Newsagent/Magazine Subscription
- Sports/Social Clubs
- Television Provider